Slater Wins 6th Billabong Piepline Masters Title, His 6th Event Win In 2008
Surf Ride Short Link
Surfri.de links are tiny urls that can be shared with Facebook, Twitter, emails, blogs, etc. Copy and paste them wherever you like!
BANZAI PIPELINE, Hawaii (Friday, Dec. 12, 2008) – Nine-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA) has won the Billabong Pipeline Masters a record sixth time today. The victory is Slater’s sixth of the 11 event 2008 ASP World Tour season.
“It’s inexplicable,” Slater said of his win and banner season. I’m just stoked. I wasn’t even worried about surfing the event, so to surf it and win and get that board (a Gerry Lopez designed surfboard trophy). I’ll cherish that for sure.
Slater has made the Pipeline Masters final 10 out of the 17 times he has entered the event winning in 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999 and again today. His 2008 win comes nine years after he last clinched the Pipeline crown in ’99.
Slater paddled out in eight to 10 foot waves at Pipeline four times today, beating Chris Ward (USA) 14.00 to 7.23 in the in the first man-on-man final* held at the venue in eight years. Slater’s heat totals in the three heats prior to the final were 19.00, 18.63 and 19.40 – all out of a possible 20 points.
Billabong Pipeline Masters Final Results:
- Final: Kelly Slater (USA) 14.00 def. Chris Ward (USA) 7.23
Billabong Pipeline Masters Semifinal Results:
- Heat 1: Kelly Slater (USA) 19.00 def. Tim Reyes (USA) 15.60
- Heat 2: Chris Ward (USA) 16.46 def. Adrian Buchan (AUS) 10.16
Billabong Pipeline Masters Quarterfinal Results:
- Heat 1: Tim Reyes (USA) 16.17 def. Luke Stedman (AUS) 6.67
- Heat 2: Kelly Slater (USA) 18.63 def. Jamie O’Brien (HAW) 11.84
- Heat 3: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 14.33 def. Kamalei Alexander (HAW) 2.67
- Heat 4: Chris Ward (USA) 8.06 def. Andy Irons (HAW) 7.43
Billabong Pipeline Masters Round 4 Results:
- Heat 1: Luke Stedman (AUS) 12.20 def. Marcus Hickman (HAW) 12.67
- Heat 2: Tim Reyes (USA) 12.66 def. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 11.83
- Heat 3: Kelly Slater (USA) 19.40 def. Kieren Perrow (AUS) 7.96
- Heat 4: Jamie O’Brien (HAW) 10.33 def. Aritz Aranburu (EUK) 6.67
- Heat 5: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 15.77 def. Tom Whitaker (AUS) 11.56
- Heat 6: Kamalei Alexander (HAW) 10.17 def. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 14.33
- Heat 7: Chris Ward (USA) 13.43 def. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 9.56
- Heat 8: Andy Irons (HAW) 17.83 def. Evan Valiere (HAW) 8.43
Final Vans Triple Crown of Surfing Ratings:
- 1: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 5,500 points