Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast 2013 Round One Highlights
Surf Ride Short Link
Surfri.de links are tiny urls that can be shared with Facebook, Twitter, emails, blogs, etc. Copy and paste them wherever you like!
Highlights from the first round of competition at the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast 2013.
RAINBOW BAY, Queensland/Australia (Tuesday, March 5, 2013) – The world’s best surfers donned the competitor’s singlet for this first time this season as Round 1 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover was completed in clean two-to-three foot (1 metre) at Rainbow Bay.
Event No. 1 of 10 on the 2013 ASP World Championship Tour (WCT), the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast will set the tone for the world’s best surfers this season and if the performances of today are any indication, the talent pool amongst this year’s ASP Top 34 runs historically deep.
Travis Logie (ZAF), 32, veteran goofy-footer from South Africa, took top honors this morning, posting the day’s high heat total of an 18.20 out of a possible 20 for a series of critical backhand combinations.
“It feels so good to start the year off with a heat win,” Logie said. “The past few seasons, my starts have been inconsistent, but I’m healthy, I have good boards under my feet and I feel like I’m surfing at the highest level of my career. The draw is so gnarly these days – guys like Adriano (de Souza) and Dusty (Payne) are deadly at any venue on tour and that pretty much goes for the entire Top 34 right now. Really stoked to get a win and hope the waves keep pumping this week.”
This morning’s win vaults Logie directly into Round 3 of the event.
Mick Fanning (AUS), 31, two-time ASP World Champion (2007, 2009) and two-time Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast winner (2005, 2007), posted an emphatic Round 1 win today utilizing his intimate knowledge of the venue and razor-sharp precision to tear apart the reeling righthanders of Rainbow Bay.
“It’s a new year and everyone is feeling fresh,” Fanning said. “When I was younger, I mostly stuck to Snapper Rocks and Kirra, but since the sand has filled in, I’ve spent a lot of time surfing through Rainbow Bay. It’s a fun wave and provides a nice wall for a variety of maneuvers. Compared to Snapper and Kirra though, I think Rainbow probably lessens the local advantage as it’s a pretty user-friendly canvas.”
Matt Wilkinson (AUS), 24, caused the upset of the day, relegating the reigning ASP World Champion and local favorite Joel Parkinson (AUS), 31, to the elimination Round 2. Wilkinson’s backhand flow and flair was unmatched today as the Central Coast goofy-footer locked in the event high single wave score of a 9.93 out of a possible 10 en route to his Round 1 win.
“It feels good to post a win over someone like Joel (Parkinson),” Wilkinson said. “He obviously knows the banks here better than everyone, but I feel like I’ve been surfing well the last couple years – things just haven’t been going my way. I definitely feel like I surf stronger on my backhand and the waves lined up for me in that heat. Pumped to be through to Round 3 and hope to keep it pushin’.”
QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 1 RESULTS:
- Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 14.50, Raoni Monteiro (BRA) 12.70, Taj Burrow (AUS) 11.94
- Heat 2: Travis Logie (ZAF) 18.20, Adriano de Souza (BRA) 17.10, Dusty Payne (HAW) 12.07
- Heat 3: John John Florence (HAW) 15.00, Kai Otton (AUS) 14.80, Patrick Gudauskas (USA) 12.40
- Heat 4: Mick Fanning (AUS) 17.24, Willian Cardoso (BRA) 14.57, Sebastian Zietz (HAW) 12.10
- Heat 5: Kelly Slater (USA) 16.04, Kolohe Andino (USA) 15.73, Dane Reynolds (USA) 12.34
- Heat 6: Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 17.76, Joel Parkinson (AUS) 17.73, Brent Dorrington (AUS) 15.37
- Heat 7: Gabriel Medina (BRA) 15.67, Kieren Perrow (AUS) 14.97, Tiago Pires (PRT) 13.20
- Heat 8: Alejo Muniz (BRA) 15.60, Nat Young (USA) 11.90, Josh Kerr (AUS) 10.13
- Heat 9: Julian Wilson (AUS) 12.15, Adam Melling (AUS) 11.63, Damien Hobgood (USA) 11.40
- Heat 10: Michel Bourez (PYF) 16.43, Owen Wright (AUS) 15.67, Filipe Toledo (BRA) 14.50
- Heat 11: Brett Simpson (USA) 15.13, Jeremy Flores (FRA) 14.76, Adrian Buchan (AUS) 13.23
- Heat 12: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 17.93, C.J. Hobgood (USA) 16.63, Glenn Hall (IRL) 15.07
QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 2 MATCH-UPS:
- Heat 1: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Brent Dorrington (AUS)
- Heat 2: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Dane Reynolds (USA)
- Heat 3: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Willian Cardoso (BRA)
- Heat 4: Josh Kerr (AUS) vs. Patrick Gudauskas (USA)
- Heat 5: Owen Wright (AUS) vs. Dusty Payne (HAW)
- Heat 6: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Raoni Monteiro (BRA)
- Heat 7: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Tiago Pires (PRT)
- Heat 8: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Nat Young (USA)
- Heat 9: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Adam Melling (AUS)
- Heat 10: Kieren Perrow (AUS) vs. Filipe Toledo (BRA)
- Heat 11: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Glenn Hall (IRL)
- Heat 12: Sebastian Zietz (HAW) vs. Kolohe Andino (USA)
Tune in to watch the contest live at quiksilverlive.com.