2011 Boardshorts Buyer’s Guide
Surf Ride Short Link
Surfri.de links are tiny urls that can be shared with Facebook, Twitter, emails, blogs, etc. Copy and paste them wherever you like!
Saturday morning; woken by the bright streak of light that snuck its way between the curtains. Through the window, sneaks a warm breeze from the desert, fingering its way to the ocean. A Central American blend steams from your coffee cup while you wipe the haze of last nights soirée from your eyes. From the side yard looking down the hill, the turquoise water sends bright light back to your face as the summer sun heats your shoulders. A three foot south swell bends its way towards the coastline; wave, meet sand bar. You reach for your 3mm rubber man suit, but you remember how hot you were last session. Time for BOARDSHORTS, time for SUMMER SUN
BOARDSHORT BUYERS GUIDE
SUMMER. Loosely translated, this means trunking it after work, bronzing while you shred, beach cruising, and if you line up your stars, a surf trip. For most of us, no matter what we do in the next few months, we are going to need a pair of boardies. Below is a guide to help you choose the best pair for your summer session.
Boardshorts are evolving at an exponential rate, and a big part of what has been changing is the materials used to keep you shredding. A short list of materials used lately.
- Eco Materials – Recycled plastic bottles
- Speed Dry Nylon
- 100% Polyester microfiber
Einstein computed wild math equations, Edison lit up our night, NASA put humans on the moon, and boardshort designers made our shorts stretch, and believe us, this was a huge step for mankind. Brands have been doing an insane job on developing lighter, more durable, water resistant, high performance designs that ultimately make us surf better. They sure feel good too.
- Super Stretch – 4 way
- Woven Eyelets – No metal, mo’ betta
- Nike Flywire Tech
- Comfort fly 2.0 closure – No chafe from velcro
- Diamond Dobby – Quiksilver’s answer to a need for a less abrasive material
- Stretch stitch at hems
- Lycra at inside front rise
From the lifeguard classic fit, to the flexible aerialist, the boardshort is made for all types of human body. It has evolved from a standard straight cut and morphed its way into fully ergonimic designs.
- Classic – Straight leg, semi short and to the point
- Short Short – Well above the knee, commonly worn in the 70′s and trending highly
- Relaxed – A more relaxed, baggier fit for a casual feel
- High Performance – A more ergonomic, super stretchy fit made from the best materials. Also more water resistant and tolerant to severe abuse in and out of the water
Common length of a boardshort would be 21″. The range is from the ‘big boy’ 23″ length, to the ‘tan your thighs’ 15″ length.
Due to the abrasive nature of velcro, brands have leaned towards alternative methods of keeping your boardshorts closed up. The following is a list of alternate technologies.
- Velcro Fly – (Ouch)
- Zipper Fly – Easy access
- Comfort fly 2.0 closure – Super comfort
- Lace Up Front – Classic, awesome
Want an insider’s opinion? Check out our 5 favorite pairs of boardies here.